17 April 2011

Como Aqua Para Chocolate

When Like Water for Chocolate came out in 1992, I had never seen anything like it. After the cheesiness of a decade of over-the-top 80's movie's, Like Water for Chocolate seemed so out of the norm (and so foreign) that it always stuck with me. Years later I travelled to Mexico and realized that the movie depicted the revolutionary era life (around the 1910's) of a Mexican family that was seeped in Mexican surrealism, and involved, what else, but a lot of cooking. Fast forward about 20 years, and I am in Moncton, bored out of my mind on a cold day in March, and decide to go to the Salvation Army to look for used pots. While there, I browse the book section (mostly crap) and see a little dog-eared paperback with the title: Like Water for Chocolate. I smiled. How fitting, I have never actually read the book (only seen the movie). I was quite excited to bring it home. When I got back I promptly forgot about it, when one day, I picked it up to look at the title and was surprised at what was inside. Not only did a Che Guevara bookmark fall out of its pages (my BF), but it had an interesting note inside. I have not notified anyone that this "travelling" book is with me (yet), but am so happy to know that my hunch was validated, that surrealism does exist in our world, and that existence was shown right here by way of this little paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment