06 September 2012

Buctouche, Sainte-Marie-de-Kent & Poutine Rapee!

Frenchie II and I travelled up to the Buctouche area the second weekend in July to get out of noisy and swelteringly hot Moncton. We were broke and never meant to go twice, but go twice we did. Once for a legit drive to Buctouche, and once on the pretext of going to Barbara's Grill in Ste-Marie-de-Kent; sadly now closed due to lack of staff. I mean, what? Anyways, it was raining cats and dogs, the roads were slick, the mosquitoes were out in full force, and nothing was open. But, we had some rainbows and something I had never eaten before: an Acadian dish: Poutine Rapee. Umm ok, so ... ever since I had moose fondue cooked in boiling teryaki sauce with Acadian curd cheese, I didn't think it could be topped. But I have say, eating a greasy potato ball, with mashed pork inside and brown sugar as a topping wins this food contest, just slightly though. You win POUTINE RAPEE!! Just for sheer weirdness. Once you get past the idea of mixing sugar with pork, it's strangely tastey. Frankly, I could eat a couple of those balls right now. The photo may be a bit off-putting, but wow .... those Acadians ... they were on to something :)

Post Note: A slightly annoyed Frenchie II has pointed out to me the fact that Poutine Rapee balls are not at all greasy since they are made out of shredded potatoes that are boiled excessively until they have the consistency below.


Poutine Rapee (not to be confused with the fast food poutine consisting of fries, gravy and cheese). Also yummers and one of my favorite foods, incidentally. There is nothing like the combo of a fried potato with gravy and cheese, absolutely drowning in ketchup.


 Buctouche Bay with its gigantic whirlpool. Scary.


Same.


 Boardwalk in Buctouche.


 Like I said. It was a weekend awash in endless rainbows.


Signage as always :)


I am not sure of the diagram on the sign. Wasn't ambitious enough to read it when we stopped.


Sainte-Marie-de-Kent


We got some ice cream.


Boaters actually got off at this dock. It looked like they were on a touristy little mini cruise.



No comments:

Post a Comment