03 August 2017

Deja Vu in Alma, NB

The crazy thing about life is that you truly can end up anywhere. After living in too many places to count, with the majority of it in Seattle, I can say without a stitch of exaggeration that I never, ever, thought I would be living in Alma, New Brunswick - literally a 10 minute drive from my parents place in New Horton. Its a little fishing village at the foot of a national park, much like North Rustico was at the foot of Cavendish in PEI. A little boom town in the summer, quiet and isolated in the winter, I never knew how much I'd like this type of arrangement. Still, I was slow to warm to the idea of living here. Because I grew up in the area during the 80's, in my memory, I just remember all the weird things that small towns in the Maritimes have to offer; which is very little aside from drinking and crazy parties, but times have changed. This town has really latched on to the idea that it is firmly becoming a destination place, one tourists actually PLAN into their vacation agendas.

With this in mind, I know there is no excuse for not taking advantage of things to do in the area. What you ask might they be? Well, at first I thought it was nothing, then my opinion moved on to the "very little" level, and now, since working in Fundy National Park, I have found that there is quite a bit to do around here: obviously first and foremost there is hiking the many trails in the park, there are beach walks around Alma, there are lakes behind here for fishing, there is live music at a couple of venues in town, and amazing restaurants if you have some extra coins around.

For now, I want to concentrate on hiking in Fundy Park. People travel here from all over the world to hike these trails and I feel that I need to take advantage of the fact that I literally live 500 yards from the parks gates. 

I am going to start with the easiest trails first and move on from there. So far, I have gone on 2 easy trails: Point Wolfe Beach Trail and Kinnie Brook Trail. 

There are a couple of good links regarding these trails, but there is not a ton describing exactly what each hike entails. So far, even on these trails, I have been surprised by what you see when you get on them. 

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/nb/fundy/activ/sentiers-trails/randonee-hiking

http://www.fundy-biosphere.ca/en/hiking-trails/fundy-national-park.html

No comments:

Post a Comment