11 November 2010

The Acadian Riviera



Through the providence of dating, I ended up getting to see some of the French parts of New Brunswick, as well as eating some strange Fondue. Although I grew up here, I had never seen Buctouche or any of the surrounding towns. The are pastoral, quaint and very tiny. The area around Richibucto (which is about an hour from Moncton) was the destination, but the French kid and I stopped off at the half way point to see Buctouche and the boardwalk (ironically funded by Irving). It was pouring rain and cloudy, but still gorgeous. We drove from Buctouche through Rexton and Richibucto town out to the small surrounding villages of Ste Ignace, Ste Marie, Ste Charles and Ste Louis de Kent.

Leaving Buchtouche I think I saw the most beautiful cemetery ever. It was over-looking the Northumberland Strait, and Jesus was right in the middle.


According the the French kid we drove through the second longest covered bridge in North America - he wasn't sure where the first was located.

Most of the towns were of the one Main Street and no traffic light variety. Ste Marie was hilly and over-looked a river, populated with the requisite abandoned gas stations (which I love to photograph for some reason).

Later in the evening I got a real treat of moose meat and scallop fondue. The meat was cooked in boiling Teriyaki sauce with globs of cheese melted cheese that started out looking like giant curds of whey. Apparently this is an uber common meal in Quebec, maybe the French, unlike the uptight and time conscious English rather enjoy cooking each mouthful of food. Of course done over some laughs and a great bottle of wine!
Who knew? Teriyaki flavored moose meat with melted cheese! And for the record, I was a terrible and lazy cooking assistant to my little French kid. Next time. I promise.















































































No comments:

Post a Comment